A personal account of my travels through Europe, and Thailand.

Friday, June 10, 2005

I simply must object!! (Wroclaw, Poland)

Somehow or another I've spent two weeks here in Poland! Sally and I had split from Alison when we went to Cesky Krumlov as Ali had been there before. We left on a train from Prague heading to Wroclaw (pronounced Vrots-Whaf or nobody understands...)in Poland, set to arrive at 1:00 am. As usual, our travel plans went off with the usual issues. Once en-route, the conductor told us we had only purchased 1 ticket. Great. So the lady at the window who, granted didn't speak English, couldn't understand two fingers being held up as well as the fact that we were both standing there with enormous packs on? Anyway, with the very generous donation of 20 Krowns from a young lady sitting across from us, we managed to scrounge just enough money for me to buy a ticket to the border. From there he told us, we'd have to purchase another to Wroclaw from the Polish conductor. Problem was, we could only pay in zloty. I didn't have any. At the border I hopped off the train in a mad search for a bank machine, with no luck. I was able to ask a fellow passenger (Eva) to change some euros (they wouldn't do it at the desk) for me, so she bought my ticket for me. I had offered her euros on the zloty, which was a hell of an exchange, but she insisted on giving me the right exchange, even getting her suitcase out to find the right amount. Eva and the Czech girl were a refreshing change from all the unhelpful, downright dismisive counter agents we've encountered.
Wroclaw was very interesting. A good majority of it had been destroyed in the war but has been painstakingly re-built. We got to see the largest 360 degree painting in the world painted in the 1800's depicting the battle between Poland and Russia. It was very well done, with special lighting to bring it to life. We viewed it from an island in the middle of the room meant to mimic a hill in the middle of the battle. Real objects extended from our "hill" and into the painting bringing it to life even further. The English commentary helped show how determined a people the Poles are despite (or perhaps because of) all their tragic history of occupation, genocide, and communism.
The Rynek (square) in Wroclaw is huge. The largest in all of Europe if I remember correctly. It's really wild. So many things to see, street performers, little stalls and ice cream vendors. And there are great patio bars everywhere, which is great because it was smokin' hot out while we were there.
Sylwester and Kamille were two great people we met on a patio one day while putting back some Lech beer. We ended up spending the entire day eating drinking and talking with them. It was nice to get a real perspective of Poland from the locals. Thanks to Poland's inclusion to the EU, Sly works in a factory in England where he's happy to make minimum wage. This may not impress most of us, but for him, it lets him, in his words; eat, drink, smoke, send money home, and enjoy life. Kamille who has a good paying job for Poland, makes around $2 an hour.
Sly was comparing our accents to the English accents and making fun of them a little. He said most of the women are ugly because they have money and they eat too much. Then he said "Polish girls are beautiful (they are) because they're poor and can't afford too eat a lot!" <disclaimer - see comments> While picking on the poor Brits, Sally piped in with "May I have a spot of tea please?" which sparked a response from the British couple sitting behind us unbeknownst to us. "I simply must object!" It was hilarious. I couldn't even talk to them I was laughing so hard. Not to mention they were both fat and ugly, had a lot more money than any of us and basically stereotypically fit everything Sly was saying to a "t". They took it all in good fun though. None of us were being malicious, just having fun...
Shortly thereafter, despite the hot sun, a harsh southern wind carrying sand came up. Parasols started blowing away, and then some big ugly clouds showed up and started drenching us. We started running around clearing tables, folding umbrellas and basically getting drenched. It was awesome. Total freak storm and Sly yelling the whole time "This isn't normal!!!". We ended up taking shelter downstairs in the pub where the power had gone out so we drank a bunch of beers by candle light. Sweet. The power came back on eventually so we went for dinner, some more beers then called it a night. We left Wroclaw the next day for Warsaw where Sally had her flight home booked.

1 Comments:

Blogger Romee said...

Hi Kamila,
I was quite pleased to get an email from you but surprised at what you had to say. I'm not mad at all, I'm glad in fact that you let me know how you felt.
It was never my intention to offend you in any way. I respect you and every one I met in Poland. Perhaps you misunderstood, but the "poor" comment was a quote from Sly, not me. It was supposed to be be funny. Polish girls are beautiful, period.
You're right, I should have written about your studies at university. It's wonderful you passed your medicine exam, I'm sure you will succeed. As for your job, I wrote that for the benefit of my friends and family at home, to give perspective about the economic differences Poland and Canada share, not to insult or hurt you. I am glad that you don't have to work and that you are able to make ends meet. Please understand that while Poland has progressed at an astonishing rate since the war (which I have nothing but the utmost respect for), I write about what I see from the perspective of Canada, where the concept of "economic comfort" is very different to that of Poland. It is true that I ate very healthy and good food in Poland. Along the way there were things I would have liked to write about (like the food in Poland or the 'bar mlecznys' in Warsaw) but unfortunately forgot at the time of writing due to the number of things happening all the time and the infrequency of my postings.
This blog is a diary of my trip for me first, friends and family second, I won't change what I've written in my blog as everything was written from the heart at the time of writing. I have adjusted it slightly though - I've included this email, along with yours on my site. If after reading this you still want me to remove the photos of you or the email comments I will. Take a look and see what I've done and let me know. - http://ranamok.blogspot.com/2005/06/i-simply-must-object-wroclaw-poland.html Click the Disclaimer link

I hope all is well, say hi to Sly for me, my offer still stands, if you or Sly come Vancouver send me an email!

Jarome

On 8/22/05, ----- wrote:

Hello Jareme!
I saw my picture on your blog, it is nice that you wrote somethig about me and Sylwek. But there are some thing that I just can't agree. Can you tell me why you write something like that "Then he said Polish girls are beautiful (they are) because they're poor and can't afford too eat a lot!". I'm shoked. I don't want to be on the picture where someone write something like this about me. Can you just remove those pictures where I am or change the tekst? I can afford for food like most of people in Poland, why You treat me like a child from Etiopia where is hunger? Why You didn't wrote that girls in Poland are beautifull because they are and that's it. Maybe polish girls aren't fat because they don't eat every diner in Mc Donalds!!!!!!!?????? We eat healthy food in Poland, we eat lots of fresh vegetables mayby that why we loks as you saw. For me my life is normal and I can eat as much as I want to so please don't write things like that about people from Poland, ok? I understand
that
You may just don't really understant what we are talking about so I just write to tell you about it.
I'm just wondering why you write about my job. Job isn't the most important thing in my life and I think that you shouldn't write in the internet how much money I earn. I'm 21 and I don't have to work, my parents give me money. I work because I just want to, now I don't even work there any more. It is truth that in Poland people can't earn a lot of money and when you live Poland and go to some other country to work you can earn much more but just don't think about us that we are poor and we can afford for food. Why don't You write that I'm laearning on Uniwersity - I am proud of it, this is the most important thing in my life - my education. You new that I'm studing a chemistry, why don't you write about it?? Now I have a good news I pass my exams on medicine :D :D :D. So I'm starting a new school - Wrocław Medical University :).
I hope that You aren't mad that I wrote something like that but I just can't let you to think about me those things you wrote . I hope You come back to Poland soon and that you are happy :). Kisses for You and girls.
Bye, Kamila.

12:04 p.m., August 22, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home