A personal account of my travels through Europe, and Thailand.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Le-Puy-En-Velay

Hangin out in a small city (20000 in town, 50000 surrounding, in the mountains called Le Puy-En-Velay (Le-Puy for short). We're staying with my aunt and uncle Helene and Michel who are Alexandre's parents. Sally, Alexandre and I all have colds. First time in at least 3 years that I've had a cold and it comes now! Typical. Anyhow at least we're here and not paying for a hotel to be miserable in... No new pictures for now. We're on dial up so it'll take too long.
Le-Puy is much older than Toulouse. It has a long religious history and has some stunning catherdrals and churches as well as a couple statues of "La Vierge Noire" the Black Virgin) and some Saint who's name I can't remember. We climbed up to the biggest Cathedral, it was pretty wild architecture even if millions had to die and suffer through eons of oppression to build it. Also, I didn't catch fire as I walked through it. Sally considered confession, but the church couldn't put us up for that long... There was a bunch of people praying there, as the news of the new conservative Pope had just been announced. I'll leave my "prayer" up to your imagination ;)
All in all a beautiful city. I should mention the statues and the Cathedrals are build on top of extremely steep hills that tower above the city. At night the statues are lit up making for a unique view. Pretty neat..
We're lucky to have family here as it's really not a tourist town, and not too many people would find this place, being out of the way.
Okay I lied, I decided to upload one pic just to appease the folks. This one was taken from up top where the Viere Noire is standing with little baby Jebus.
Okay I lied a little. I've been uploading one picture while typing and I just ate dinner so the upload is done.
It's a shot from the base of the Vierge Noire of part of Le Puy-En-Velay. If I had my tripod I would have taken a 360° panoramic, but c'est la vie... When I get to another high speed connection I'll upload the rest. There's some goodies :) Going drinkin' so Sally's tugging on my arm to leave...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

salut jarome. Je reviens d'une soirée en ville. C'est plutôt tranquille ici (au puy). Le beau temps est revenu. Décidément vous avez pas de chance ! J'espère que tout se passe bien à Lyon et que Brigitte va bien. Passe le bonjour à Sally, et amusez vous bien.
For the english talking people...
Hello everybody, I'm Alexandre, from toulouse. Hem, I wish the picture you'll see, will give you the idea to visit la France ! Jerome's explication about canada make me think that every people have fun in the same way. But you will ask to Sally if the fact to (try :p) speak an other language isn't exciting... And if you need to learn french, you will be able to ask both of them to learn it to you ! Good bye, and a special dedicace to niffer ;) Tchao tout le monde !

2:40 p.m., April 25, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home