A personal account of my travels through Europe, and Thailand.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Relaxing in Thailand

I wish. As like I mentioned in my last entry, after Ali and I went for some killer Indian food we joined up with Maeve and Dee to continue the celebration of my 29th. The girls had been told by a fellow Irishman that "Simon Chang Mai" was not to be missed. Basically it was a cabaret show - you know, singing, tights, outrageous costumes. Too bad they were all men! The funny thing is Thai guys are just as thin and small as the women so they pass it off quite well. It was actually a hilarious show. We had lots of fun. Thanks to the girls pointing me out, I got dragged on stage to my horror. That's what you get for going out with 3 girls... Whatever,I just stood there and looked like an idiot - (I hadn't consumed enough liquid courage to add to the show). Fortunately the only person with a camera was me - and it stayed in my pocket.
Thailand has an interesting stance on "lady boys" and homosexuality. They have none. There's no laws for or against it. The Buddhist mentality simply couldn't comprehend the idea of shunning someone due to race, religion, Coke or Pepsi or sexual preference. And we call Thailand 3rd world.
After the "Lady Boy" (that's what they're called here, it's not meant to be disrespectful - freaks) show, I needed something more male. All this open-mindedness is killin' me How 'bout (pun intended) some Muay Thai! aka Thai Boxing.
We went to a bar that had fights all night. No entry fee, just gotta buy the drinks there, and they weren't even overpriced much.We sat ring-side and watched a few fights. Every bout ended in a knock-out. Awesome. There's nothing quite like seeing - and even better - hearing a foot connect to some poor bastard's head, flipping him over and crashing into the mat. I took a few photos trying to get an action shot. I may have blinded the guy in blue as he lost the fight shortly after. Hahaha. After the fight, the winner comes around and asks for 10 or 20 baht ($.30/$.60cdn) no prob! Loser goes home poor and bruised.
I took a night bus to Bangkok the other day in hopes of catching the bus to Kho Chang. I missed it. So I spent another day in Bangkok wandering around Pantip Plaza which is a geek's paradise. 5 floors of computer's, electronics and pirated software. Heaven. I got myself a good deal on a PDA (iPAQ hx2700) so once I figure the damn thing out, I won't have to rely on Internet cafe's as much.
That night I got my drink on at a road side portable bar with a rather eclectic group of Americans, Aussies, French, English and German tourists. Oh, and one Thai guy. Fun times. The next day (yesterday) I slept in again and missed the bus to Kho Chang. Damnit. I ended up taking a bus south to Pattaya to get closer to the pristine beaches of Kho Chang, with the idea that I could go to Kho Chang today. That wasn't the case. Life, it seems, is cruel...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jarome, I think I know why you were excited to see the drag queen show in Bangkok - I never told you this before - but .......when we graduated from CS Class at Telus, you were voted "Most Likely To Become A Lady Man" and it appears to have come true!!

9:04 p.m., July 01, 2005

 
Blogger Romee said...

HaHaHa - Obviously your Freudian nature has reared it's Fancy head again and you heard what you wanted to hear but... they voted on "Ladies Man"
Sorry...

9:47 p.m., July 01, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny - although I acknowledge you were Janice's "favorite pet", even you know who the REAL Ladies Man was. (These awards quite often come true - in Grade 12 my sister was voted, "Most Likely To Conceive" - and she has 5 children now)

1:36 p.m., July 02, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home