A personal account of my travels through Europe, and Thailand.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Lost my bank card

Argh!
So I took the bus into Kho Chang, and with my last 500 baht ($15) in cash, booked into a hotel (they're pricey here as it's a major tourist destination for both foreigners and Thai). I met some fellow Canucks on the bus and we agreed to get some food and drinks. I realized as I stood before the ATM that my bankcard was nowhere to be seen. I had taken it out of my wallet the night before to limit my funds when I went out so I wouldn't drink too much. I guess it worked too well. I must have left it back in Bangkok. Not a happy camper. So rather than eat and drink with some Canadians I met on the bus, I was complelled to call the bank etc. The payphone here have credit card slots but none of them work.As I had no cash to make a call from an internet cafe, I was forced to use the hotel phone (who took Visa). 3000baht ($100) for 45 minutes worth of calls (you can't make collect calls in this country). For those of you wondering why I didn't do a cash advance from my VISA, I don't know my PIN for my any of my credit cards. The bank and credit card companies confirmed what I already suspected - can't issue PIN's over the phone. I finally found out that I can do cash advances on my VISA through banks here and Currency exchanges. I wish I knew that before I blew $100 on long distance. Thieves! I've worked out how to get my PIN, but I can't get into that for security reasons... I was pretty pissed off after all that so I went to go see "War of the Worlds" to stop thinking. It was pretty good, but quite a bit of weak acting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home