A personal account of my travels through Europe, and Thailand.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Phuket

So I'm in Phuket now. I got here in a rather round about way - at least in my head. The last week or so has been rather trying, to say the least.
I had finally made it to Koh Chang with its pristine and mostly empty beaches. Problem was, it turns out I don't like being alone. Not that this was a big surprise to me. Nor should it be for anyone who knows me. It was very depressing to see all the couples sharing their experiences together. My drive was completely shot. I couldn't meet anyone (male or female) in my frame of mind. The weather was not improving, and the one store in town that rented surf boards was closed. The water didn't look very good for surfing anyway.
I had given up. I was depressed. I missed Sally and I was home sick. I decided it was time to go home. After 3 lonely nights in Koh Chang I booked a bus back to Bangkok.
I had called in sick for the week at Telus (my leave of absence expired on July 1st), thinking l could weasel another week of pay. Plus l was low enough to consider going home sooner than planned. The next day as l was booking my ticket I got an email with the following in the body: “As your request for an extension to your leave of absence was denied, you were expected to return to work effective July 2nd. As you decided not to do that we consider you to have abandoned your employment with TELUS. When your back in town feel free to reapply on External Temp Positions. It was great working with you.” Nice way of saying I'm Fired. Ha! That made me re-think going home. With no decent paying job I have absolutely nothing to go home to. I had said many times before I left that the prospect of returning and starting from scratch didn't bother me. And it didn't. I had not considered what it would be like alone. As long as Sally was with me I knew things would be fine as the most important aspect of my life was already taken care of. Now it's different. I've lost confidence in what to do when I get home.
THE ABSOLUTE WORST way to break up with someone is to do it overseas (if you’re against the idea of course). At home you have work to distract you. There's a ritual to go through. (Yes, I’ve been dumped enough to have a ritual - great eh?). Out here, every moment I spend missing Sally feels like I'm squandering current opportunities, thus making me feel more guilty. Relaxing is out of the question. I need to keep active. Bloody hell.
Anyway, I digress.
So I changed my mind. Next stop Phuket. If anywhere is gonna have surfing it's gotta be Phuket. Then l realized that my CD with all the pictures I took from Belgium to Budapest was missing. Lovely. Back come the depressed feelings. Nothing's working out, why me etc... You've gotta understand, that was a huge chunk of my trip. Over 500 photos. The last place I saw it was in Koh Chang and by a miracle I found the phone number. An even bigger miracle was when they told one they had it. Of course now I have to figure out how to get it back. I'm hoping that when/if Alison goes there she can grab it for me. We went separate ways back in Chiang Mai by the way.
I paid $60cdn for a forty minute flight instead of the fifteen hour $15 train trip, and here I is. It's been raining all day. So no more pictures yet. I hope a change in the weather will come with a change of feelings for me. At the least if surfing is available, maybe it'll help fill the void.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home