A personal account of my travels through Europe, and Thailand.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Surfing in Thailand

So you can surf in Phuket. It's expensive compared to other Thai activities, but it's wanted for a long time so here I am. I'm kinda living it up here. My bungalow over looks the ocean, has 2 bedrooms (that's all they had) a kitchen (which I won't use) and a nice TV - not that I watch it much but it's nice at night. It's ฿400 a night. I also rented a real bike this time. Well sorta real. It's a Honda Phantom and it's ฿300 a day. So far that's ฿700 a day. Then surfing lessons are about ฿700 and hour and then board rental is ฿150 and hour so if I take a lesson a day and another hour of practice later on after (which is plenty as learning is exhausting) I'm looking at ฿1550 a day plus food and drink. Let's say ฿2000 which is about $60cdn a day. It's actually a great deal all things considered, but for Thailand where you can live on $15cdn a day if you're careful, it’s pretty high, and the bank account is getting pretty thin... Whatever. With surfing under my belt I'll have no qualms about going home if I have to.
I met 2 girls, Kristy and Kate from Washington DC (they didn't vote for him either) a couple days ago that were really cool. It was nice to hang out with different people for a few days. Kate already knew how to surf, but Kristy joined me in some lessons which was cool, and we got a better deal because of it. Surfing is pretty cool, especially drinking the salt water. Yummy. Just can't get enough ;) I've booked another three days here with the intention of surfing every one of them. I'm gonna sleep like a baby for the next while! If I can handle (afford) it I may stay even longer, though I'll trade in the big bike for a cheaper scooter. Having a real bike is awesome. Riding down the highway with the teal ocean on one side and palm trees on the other it sweet. Too bad it's only 400cc (I think, but it doesn't feel that big). The helmet is a joke. It's like a plastic toy. A lot of people don't wear them. I do only because the cops will charge you ฿300 if they're in a bad mood, but it barely protects you from mosquitoes let alone a head on collision with a Tuk Tuk :) Time for dinner and then off to bed, I've got another lesson tomorrow morning. Surfing is not conducive to a drinking lifestyle...
Oh yeah, Ali got my CD for me. Phew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home